As a fan of horror and romance, there’s nothing I like better than movies that combine the two. Romantic subplots show up often in horror movies, but in these five, the romance is as important to the story as the horror.
- Mutants – This is both a tale of terror and a touching love story. With the world taken over by zombies, Sonia and Marco still have each other–until he starts changing into one of the monsters. She does her best to save him, but will it be enough? Mutants is sad and romantic with enough disgusting and suspenseful parts to make it a good horror movie. It’s one I’ve seen several times and will definitely watch again.
- Return of the Living Dead III – A young man brings his dead girlfriend back to life with horrible consequences. Julie is one of my favorite horror movie characters. She’s beautiful, dangerous and incredibly sympathetic. You want her and Curt to find a way to make things right, but it’s a horror movie after all.
- Dance of the Damned – This is one of my all-time favorite vampire movies. The characters are well fleshed out and it uses the theme of vampires as another species instead of magical monsters, which I strongly prefer. The main characters have excellent chemistry and though they know each other for just one night, they develop a closeness that seems believable.
- Mary Reilly – This version of Jekyll and Hyde has some gore and its share of tense moments. Mary is a well developed character and Hyde is both despicable and irresistible. I love watching her interaction with both the seemingly gentle Dr. Jekyll and the wild Mr. Hyde.
- Tale of a Vampire – A librarian and a vampire, both grieving for lost loves, find each other, but someone doesn’t want them to live happily ever after. This movie is slow paced, but compelling. I especially like how the past and present weave together.
What are your favorite romantic horror movies?